Fashion Fridays: Denim Dresses & How to Look Taller in Photos

 Denim is a staple in every wardrobe, but the only denim I used to have in my wardrobe comes in the form of denim jeans. Call me a late blo...

 Denim is a staple in every wardrobe, but the only denim I used to have in my wardrobe comes in the form of denim jeans. Call me a late bloomer, but I have only just come to realize how versatile denim dresses actually are. In today's edition of Fashion Fridays, you will see the latest addition to my denim dress collection (I have a grand total of erm..2 denim dresses now).

 Just like denim jeans, denim dresses are classic pieces that never go out of style. What's great about denim dresses is that you can easily just throw them on and go without worrying about looking like a clown who dressed herself up in the dark. You'll always look put together, thanks to the texture of the denim material which adds structure to your silhouette. The best part is, denim is one material that delivers comfort and durability like no other. 

I honestly don't know what took me so long to jump onto the denim dress bandwagon, but as always, it's better late than never.



Dress from Ching
Shoes from Sophia Webster
 Bag and brooch from Chanel

On a somewhat different note, I have been told on many occasions that I look very tall in photos. After seeing my photos on my blog, many assume that I am at least 1.7-1.8 m tall, hence they get the shock of their lives when they meet me in person for the first time, because the truth is, I am really petite, standing at only 1.6m tall.

Why do I look taller in photos? 
 
 That's a question I get very often, but it is really a matter of just playing with body proportions, knowing what works well for your body type, photography angles and the poses that you strike.
 
Through some practice, I realized that I look tallest when the photographer holds the camera such that it points at the midpoint of my full height. Depending on your photographer's height, he/she may have to bend down to capture photos at this height. The photographer also needs to ensure that the subject's full height fits just nicely into the camera frame. 

The wonderful thing about taking photos at this height is that your body proportions do not get distorted. The lack of excess space at the top and bottom of the photo also elongates your body in a proportionate manner. Most of my OOTD photos are taken from this angle, but there are times when I attempt to experiment with other angles because of various reasons.
 
Take these two photos below for instance, which were taken from the top-down angle. 




The top-down angle may work well for selfies, but when it comes to full-length portrait shots, this angle is usually not ideal. Not only do you look disproportionate from this angle, you would also most definitely end up looking like you have short legs, regardless of your pose. Photography angles aside, I personally adore the photo composition and the backdrop of these 2 photos, hence I didn't mind looking much shorter!

Most people tend to favour the bottom-up angle as they claim that this angle elongates their legs and thus makes them look taller than they actually are. Personally, I find this angle a little strange because your body proportions somehow still look a little out of whack (long legs with tiny head), plus you could also potentially wind up with a double chin in the process.   

What about you? What's your favourite angle for OOTDs?


I hope you enjoyed reading this post! For those of you who reside in Singapore, have a wonderful long weekend ahead!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Show Comments: OR

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...